BigCommerce’s mission is to help merchants sell more at every stage of growth, from small startups, to mid-market businesses to large enterprises. We focus on being the best ecommerce platform so our customers can focus on what matters most: growing their businesses.
We are equally passionate about growing our employee’s careers and providing them an incredible experience as we rapidly expand across the globe. We are proud to have been recognized numerous times for our product and workplace culture. We empower our people and customers to build, innovate and grow, so together we can redefine the ecommerce industry.
BigCommerce , named a "Best Place to Work" in Austin in 2024, is looking for a Legal Counsel to join our growing, top-notch legal team. As a key member of the team, you will help support the company’s growth and profitability by providing legal counsel on various corporate, securities, commercial, compliance and strategic matters in a high-growth environment. This role will interact with senior leadership and report to the Associate General Counsel.
What You’ll Do
- Support the preparation and review of all SEC filings (Forms 10-K, 10-Q, 8-K, Proxy Statements, etc.).
- Collaborate with the investor relations, accounting and finance teams on the release of quarterly earnings and other investor communications.
- Assist with corporate governance matters, including board and committee materials, policies and other compliance projects.
- Advise on and administer corporate policies and programs, such as the insider trading compliance policy, equity plans and 10b5-1 plans, and monitor related regulatory developments and best practices.
- Manage SEC and Nasdaq reporting and compliance activities; develop and update policies and procedures relating to disclosure obligations and compliance of listing exchange (NASDAQ) requirements.
- Serve as a trusted advisor to various company departments including sales, strategic business development, human resources, marketing and customer success services.
- Draft, review, and negotiate a broad range of commercial agreements , including inbound SaaS and related agreements, partnerships, support services and sponsorships.
- Research and provide guidance on corporate governance, securities, strategic and other matters.
- Advise on legal issues and risks raised by our product offerings and business strategies.
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of and familiarity with the company’s business operations, product, market, customers and competitors.
- Drive compliance in day-to-day activities, including providing training and counsel to other teams.
- Establish rapport and working relationships at all levels to encourage and continue the proactive use of in-house legal counsel.
Who You Are
- J.D. degree and membership in good standing in at least one state bar.
- At least 2-4 years’ experience with a top regional or national law firm or experience working in a fast-paced, in-house legal environment).
- Familiarity with and experience in public company SEC reporting documents, including 10-Ks, 10-Qs, 8-Ks, proxy statements and Section 16 reports and filings.
- Knowledgeable and experienced in commercial and contract law as well as strategic transactions.
- Experience representing SaaS and/or software providers.
- Honest, with excellent legal judgment, business acumen, and ability to apply legal principles practically in a business environment.
- Calm under fire and a hard worker - able to work independently and prioritize multiple, sometimes competing deliverables while managing expectations and meeting deadlines.
- Exceptional communicator - with strong interpersonal skills and an ability to explain legal concepts and respond to co-workers in a courteous and timely manner.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview process, to perform essential job functions and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you need an accommodation in order to interview at BigCommerce, please let us know during any of your interactions with our recruiting team.
Learn more about the BigCommerce team, culture and benefits at https://careers.bigcommerce.com .