BigCommerce’s mission is to help merchants sell more at every stage of growth, from small startups, to mid-market businesses to large enterprises. We focus on being the best ecommerce platform so our customers can focus on what matters most: growing their businesses.
We are equally passionate about growing our employee’s careers and providing them an incredible experience as we rapidly expand across the globe. We are proud to have been recognized numerous times for our product and workplace culture. We empower our people and customers to build, innovate and grow, so together we can redefine the ecommerce industry.
BigCommerce, named a Best Place to Work in Austin, is looking for a talented Senior Designer to join our design team! Designers at BigCommerce are responsible for the creation and maintenance of high-quality, publication ready content in support of our merchant and partner engagement goals. While designers collaborate with all teams at BigCommerce, the relationship between Marketing and Design will be critical for the success of this role.
What You’ll Do
- Work within our defined brand guidelines and design system, but have the vision, ability and chops to identify potential growth areas and push the boundaries of our visual language. You’ll work to evolve how we best present ourselves to our target audience on a consistent basis, and empower other team members to do the same.
- Elevate the craft, conceptual thinking, and design output of the Marketing and Design orgs.
- Contribute to complex projects with oversight and art direction, and collaborate effectively with cross-functional partners to find the best solutions.
- Take the lead on lower-complexity projects that have defined art direction, delivering high-conversion solutions that align with our brand as well as industry best-practices. Projects may be multi-phased, requiring a degree of thoughtfulness and judgment in how solutions are operationalized and brought to market.
- Validate the necessary collateral and documentation with Marketing and BigCommerce stakeholders and partners and deliver all necessary states and interactions with a high degree of clarity.
- Draw from previous experiences to suggest the appropriate methodologies and processes for a given project, and will articulate the value of processes and standards to cross-functional teammates.
- Identify when existing patterns require optimization and/or when new patterns need to be created. You will actively assist business partners in identifying use-cases and requirements for marketing collateral/experience being developed.
- Proactively reach out to cross-functional partners to understand business needs, communicate status, inform about work, and help to resolve roadblocks or issues.
- Proactively schedule reviews and checkpoints with Design leadership, Marketing Project Managers and Marketing stakeholders to ensure the quality of work, and provide rock-solid rationale behind your design decisions.
- Responsible for providing art direction, technical instruction and guidance to more-junior designers on a project-by-project basis.
Who You Are
- Senior-level designer with a Bachelor's degree and 5+ years of agency, in-house, or freelance experience. Experience may come from outside of commerce or B2B but should demonstrate strength in visual communication and a customer-centered mindset.
- You have expert-level technical ability with Adobe Creative Suite and Figma, and can bounce between designing for digital and print with ease.
- You have experience with branding and building strong visual identities. You’re up to date with trends, but have a solid foundational knowledge of classic design principles.
- A confident and effective storyteller that can communicate ideas and concepts to both internal and external audiences of BigCommerce.
- Feel passionately that design is a craft that can always be improved, and also a critical part of the overall marketing strategy. You demonstrate strength in visual communication and story-telling with a customer-centered mindset.
- A role model of team and company values; you motivate design peers by demonstrating curiosity, support, and enthusiasm for the work of others.
- A strong communicator within the design team, always looking for ways to keep things positive, focused and productive. You are quick to help others and are able to discern when design leadership should be involved/consulted.
- Open to giving and receiving feedback in an objective manner, and look for opportunities to improve your performance as well as the performance and impact of your functional team.
- A motivator. Motivating cross-functional team members by persuasively presenting work and articulating the positive customer and business impact.
- Understand ecommerce and our company business model and are able to project your knowledge and experience across multiple projects and functional areas.
- You are able to identify, craft, and advocate for solutions that have high impact to our users while also best supporting our company’s business model.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview process, to perform essential job functions and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you need an accommodation in order to interview at BigCommerce, please let us know during any of your interactions with our recruiting team.
Learn more about the BigCommerce team, culture and benefits at https://careers.bigcommerce.com .