BigCommerce’s mission is to help merchants sell more at every stage of growth, from small startups, to mid-market businesses to large enterprises. We focus on being the best ecommerce platform so our customers can focus on what matters most: growing their businesses.
We are equally passionate about growing our employee’s careers and providing them an incredible experience as we rapidly expand across the globe. We are proud to have been recognized numerous times for our product and workplace culture. We empower our people and customers to build, innovate and grow, so together we can redefine the ecommerce industry.
BigCommerce (Nasdaq: BIGC) is a leading software-as-a-service (SaaS) ecommerce platform that empowers merchants of all sizes to build, innovate, and grow their businesses online. As a leading open SaaS solution, BigCommerce provides merchants sophisticated enterprise-grade functionality, customization, and performance with simplicity and ease-of-use. Tens of thousands of B2B and B2C companies across 120 countries and numerous industries use BigCommerce to create beautiful, engaging online stores, including Ben & Jerry’s, Skullcandy, Sony, and Woolrich. Headquartered in Austin, BigCommerce has offices in San Francisco, Sydney, Kyiv and London.
About the role
We are looking for a Senior Technical Product Manager to focus on the Shopper and Developer experience of the BigCommerce ecosystem of storefronts - inclusive of Stencil, our bundled storefront template engine, as well as our growing stable of headless storefront connectors and partnerships. As a part of this role, you will work closely with several engineering teams, our API strategy group, as well as the rest of the Product & Engineering organization. In this role, you will need to be working with cross-functional stakeholders such as Marketing, PR, Strategic Business Development Team and other teams to make sure that there’s a cohesive strategy for delivering excellent Storefront experiences across the board and that our merchants can sell using whatever presentation layer is right for their business. Our Storefront Platform is where many features of the BigCommerce platform are expressed to e-commerce Shoppers on behalf of our customers, so you will develop familiarity and relationships with many areas of the product and their associated teams.
What you’ll do:
- Lead the product strategy & execution of new features and underlying improvements to our Storefronts platform, which ensures all of BigCommerce’s offerings across Stencil and Headless are beloved by our customers.
- In partnership with our Themes and Merchandising teams, chart the future course of both our native Stencil storefront platform and headless solutions, taking into account the needs of multiple user types such as theme developers, merchants, and e-commerce shoppers.
- Make strategy calls & prioritization decisions that help us maximize our investment into headless frameworks & partnerships
- Advocate for web best practices across all types of Storefronts, ensuring the BigCommerce platform remains an industry leader across web performance & SEO
- Ensure the ecosystem of BigCommerce Partners and 3rd party developers are enabled to build beautiful branded storefronts on top of our platform with best-in-class developer tools
- Gather inputs from cross-functional stakeholders (Marketing, Business Development, Sales, Finance etc).
- Define and communicate business outcomes and performance metrics to key stakeholders throughout the organization.
- Enthusiastically lead your teams, consisting of developers, designers, and quality engineers, towards your vision with effective delivery.
- Work collaboratively with your teams to break complex projects into small projects, with each iteration adding more customer value.
- Prepare comprehensive Epics & Stories for your development teams.
- Explain to the development team(s) all details of stories before/over development (organization of explanation process — planning, grooming meetings etc.)
- Work with the Design team to design & prototype new features.
- Validate new functionality with customers before development.
- Demo new functionality to the stakeholders, the organization and customers.
- Analyze the entire product and propose ways to improve it.
- Analyze data to measure the impact of product improvements, and then iterate to constantly optimize performance.
Who you are:
- Depending on the size and type of teams/companies you’ve worked at in the past, that could translate to anywhere from 3 to 5+ years’ experience in a hands-on product management role.
- You’ve worked in an environment where website page-load performance and end-user experience was a key metric.
- Proficient in web performance auditing, at a level where you can explain best practices of web performance to others.
- Familiarity with REST and GraphQL APIs in a frontend web development context.
- You have a favorite frontend framework (e.g. React) or website hosting software (e.g. WordPress) and can describe the advantages or disadvantages of that framework over others.
- Familiarity with WebPageTest, Google Lighthouse, and/or other performance auditing tools and frameworks.
- You have worked in SCRUM Agile methodologies and understand the process.
- You’re passionate about building next-generation products for the fast-growing ecommerce industry.
- You have worked on platform artifacts and understand services, APIs and frameworks.
- You have a technical background, or have a technical orientation, enough to get in the weeds with engineers to understand the pros and cons of different technologies, design and potential solutions.
- You have a laser focus on the customer which enables you to have a deep understanding of their pain points and how they use the product.
- You use data to inform and defend your decisions.
- You’re able to develop a long term plan and then work with the team to break it into smaller chunks, each adding more customer value.
- You value market research and, when it comes to the competition, you have your finger on the pulse.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview process, to perform essential job functions and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you need an accommodation in order to interview at BigCommerce, please let us know during any of your interactions with our recruiting team.
Learn more about the BigCommerce team, culture and benefits at https://careers.bigcommerce.com .