BigCommerce’s mission is to help merchants sell more at every stage of growth, from small startups, to mid-market businesses to large enterprises. We focus on being the best ecommerce platform so our customers can focus on what matters most: growing their businesses.
We are equally passionate about growing our employee’s careers and providing them an incredible experience as we rapidly expand across the globe. We are proud to have been recognized numerous times for our product and workplace culture. We empower our people and customers to build, innovate and grow, so together we can redefine the ecommerce industry.
Our Infrastructure team is made up of talented and enthusiastic individuals who have a huge amount of experience in the running, managing and scaling of large scale web operations and systems administration. The team works closely with the rest of our Engineering organization to ensure that the platform powering BigCommerce remains reliable, performant and secure, 24x7.
We’re looking for an experienced Senior Infrastructure Engineer who brings solid systems administration skills that are backed up by an innate understanding of software engineering, with a mindset skewed towards performance analysis, scalability and high availability.
Day to day you’ll find us with our nose in the terminal, using Terraform and Puppet to manage our Debian hosts in a heterogeneous environment of Docker containers, VMs and Bare metal servers. We rely heavily on Logstash and Grafana to provide the data we need to direct our focus and attention to diagnosing and resolving performance issues across a variety of software built in PHP, Ruby, Scala (JVM) and on occasion.
We are always working to empower the BigCommerce Engineering teams and to deliver a faster and more robust platform.
What makes you tick
- A software engineer with a curiosity for operations, or an operations engineer that wants to work closely with software engineers to help improve response times, scalability and availability
- Someone who loves to code and enjoys working with multiple programming languages. We primarily work with PHP, Ruby and Python. Puppet manages all of our configuration
- A good communicator who works well with geographically distributed teams such as ours. We are split between Sydney, Austin, and San Francisco
- You're obsessive compulsive, in a good way. Your systems and scripts are clean, well-documented and comprehensible
- Hates doing the same thing twice, you’d rather spend the time to automate a problem away rather than having to spend time on it again
- You have a passion for learning when it comes to working with new technologies or languages
- You live and breathe scalable web architectures
- You’re cool in a crisis and can align with others to ensure complex problems meet a timely and effective resolution
- While work is a big part of your life, you strive to maintain a good balance between the office and home. The pager is an important part of your day, but you don’t let it rule your life
Who you are
Our ideal candidate possesses some or all of the following skills
- 3-5 years experience operating, building software for or supporting large Linux based web application environments
- Experience with Linux systems administration, including solid scripting skills (PHP, Python, Ruby, Perl) and Bash
- Knowledge of configuration management systems such as Puppet, or Chef (we use Puppet)
- Experience with popular tools for monitoring web applications (we use New Relic, Nagios, Graphite, and StatsD to name a few)
- A wealth of knowledge in physical server and cloud environments
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in CS, EE or MIS; or equivalent experience
**Please submit resume in English for review.**
- Fluent in English
- Our ideal candidate will reside in Mexico City, Guadalajara, or any major city within Mexico
Our Hiring Processes Might Include
We want to see your problem-solving and analytical skills. Be prepared to write good, clean, scalable code. You don’t need to know our entire stack, but we’re looking for practical experience, someone who can solve production problems in the cloud.
- Recruiter Phone Screen
- Hiring Manager Screening
- Online Code Assessment
- Final Team Interview
- All interviews are conducted via Google Meet or Zoom Webcast
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview process, to perform essential job functions and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you need an accommodation in order to interview at BigCommerce, please let us know during any of your interactions with our recruiting team.
Learn more about the BigCommerce team, culture and benefits at https://careers.bigcommerce.com .