BigCommerce’s mission is to help merchants sell more at every stage of growth, from small startups, to mid-market businesses to large enterprises. We focus on being the best ecommerce platform so our customers can focus on what matters most: growing their businesses.
We are equally passionate about growing our employee’s careers and providing them an incredible experience as we rapidly expand across the globe. We are proud to have been recognized numerous times for our product and workplace culture. We empower our people and customers to build, innovate and grow, so together we can redefine the ecommerce industry.
BigCommerce, named a 2022 "Best Place to Work'‘ in San Francisco is looking for a full-time Senior Software Engineer to join the Pricing Team. The pricing team builds and maintains the BigCommerce pricing engine and allows merchants flexibility in how they price products on their storefronts. Our primary languages are PHP and Scala, and we leverage a suite of internal deployment and cloud infrastructure tools as well as REST APIs and gRPC.
By joining our team, you’ll contribute to our merchants’ success by providing them with highly customizable and performant product pricing. You will work with team members to migrate features from our core PHP app to Scala services and to build new pricing features to help our merchants sell more. BigCommerce offers a collaborative environment where you can expand your skillset and bring ideas to fruition.
What You’ll Do:
- Use PHP, Scala, gRPC, RabbitMQ, Docker, Resque, MySQL, Redis, and other technologies to help power our platform
- Build systems and APIs that provide a highly available world-class pricing engine for the BigCommerce platform
- Work closely with the operations team while building and scaling back-end services
- Write clear, maintainable, concise code that is performant and well tested
- Collaborate with our product and design teams to define features and set timelines
- Engage in technical discussions of new solutions and architectures
- Participate in code reviews to maintain and improve quality
- Support an open, positive, and energized culture
- Encourage innovation and foster an environment of continuous improvement
- Mentor junior team members
Who You Are:
- Bachelor's degree in CS, EE, SW, CE, MIS; or equivalent experience or completed either a comprehensive software engineering boot camp
- You’re an experienced professional with at least 5 years of experience building software
- You have strong experience writing code and debugging in Scala, PHP, or a similar language
- You think iteratively, and break down big problems into smaller, deliverable / deployable pieces
- You’re familiar with UNIX, caching strategies (Redis), MySQL, and RabbitMQ
- You’re driven by doing the right thing and putting customers first
- You find that fixing bugs and solving performance problems sparks joy!
Nice to Have:
- Experience in highly scalable service-oriented architectures
Our Hiring Processes Might Include
We want to see your problem-solving and analytical skills. Be prepared to write good, clean, scalable code. You don’t need to know our entire stack, but we’re looking for practical experience, someone who can tackle production problems in the cloud.
- Recruiter Phone Screen
- Hiring Manager Screening
- Online Code Assessment
- Final Team Interview
- All interviews are conducted via Google Meet or Zoom Webcast
- Note: Visa Work Authorization Sponsorship Supported and Relocation Assistance Provided
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview process, to perform essential job functions and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you need an accommodation in order to interview at BigCommerce, please let us know during any of your interactions with our recruiting team.
Learn more about the BigCommerce team, culture and benefits at https://careers.bigcommerce.com .