BigCommerce’s mission is to help merchants sell more at every stage of growth, from small startups, to mid-market businesses to large enterprises. We focus on being the best ecommerce platform so our customers can focus on what matters most: growing their businesses.
We are equally passionate about growing our employee’s careers and providing them an incredible experience as we rapidly expand across the globe. We are proud to have been recognized numerous times for our product and workplace culture. We empower our people and customers to build, innovate and grow, so together we can redefine the ecommerce industry.
BigCommerce is looking for a Senior Payroll Specialist to deliver global payroll administration. Position is responsible for execution of all tasks necessary to accomplish BigCommerce’s payroll administration objectives as well as supporting employee data management activities in HRIS systems. This position serves as the point of contact for payroll and related HR Payroll Policy execution.
Remote Position or Hybrid: “Flexible work from home options available” for those wanting an office environment. This role can be located in London, or any major city within the UK.
What You’ll Do
- Administer, reconcile and audit global payroll for 700+ employees (hourly, non-exempt, exempt, commissioned, executive) in multiple countries and multiple payroll systems. Includes: processing of employee changes, record maintenance, time and attendance system management, etc. to ensure accuracy and timely execution.
- Follows federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; carrying out adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Proactively researching changing legal requirements to maintain compliance in advance of launch.
- Responding in a professional manner to complex payroll questions from employees and managers with a high sense of urgency.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and year-end reporting (gross payroll, hours worked, vacation accrual, tax deductions, benefit deductions, etc.)
- Facilitate payroll activities from the annual salary review process.
- Audit systems and review employee related data, make recommendations to processes to ensure accuracy so that policies are being met and tax forms are processed timely.
- Handle Garnishments, Verification of employment and unemployment claims professionally, timely and in accordance with the guidelines stated within each document and as per state or federal guidelines.
- Lead internal and external payroll audits with a high degree of excellence
- Key partner in ongoing projects including system implementations, conversions, auditing, testing and any other related projects that may arise.
- Ensuring internal processes and procedures are maintained to guarantee adherence with Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) making recommendations when necessary
- Extracting, reviewing, auditing, and saving payroll related reports for historical and compliance purposes.
- Responsible for ensuring that escalated benefits issues are properly addressed
- Partner and interact with HRBP’s, People Services, Payroll, Finance, Culture & Diversity and various external vendors in the deployment and administration of global payroll
- Own the presentations at meetings and training employees of any payroll related material
- Maintain a good understanding of constantly evolving law and regulations through self- research and training
- Maintain employee confidence and protect payroll operations by producing accurate payrolls and keeping information confidential.
- Continually find opportunities to improve the employee experience and the operational efficiencies.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned
Who Are You
- 7+ years HR Systems/Global Payroll experience ideally in a high-tech environment, global/multi-location experience preferred.
- CPP Certification strongly preferred
- Foundational knowledge and understanding of HRIS, Payroll, Compensation and like processes.
- Experience processing terminations and new hires.
- Knowledge of recording stock transactions within payroll.
- An understanding of tax laws.
- Understanding of Banked Holidays (like New Years)
- Advanced MS Excel skills.
- Experience with Bamboo HR & Insperity preferred.
- Proven international knowledge of payroll-related laws especially for the UK and Europe.
- Capability to apply discretion and good judgment in managing processes, decisions and handling sensitive information.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle competing priorities.
- Ability to work within compressed timeframes and accept the sense of urgency, innovation and resourcefulness required in a fast-paced company.
- Comfortable working hands-on to get things done and quickly shifting to complex strategy discussions.
- Can accomplish results and desired outcomes through formal and informal corporate structures.
- Outstanding client relationship skills.
- Strong analytical skills - the ability to synthesize data and develop insights.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview process, to perform essential job functions and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you need an accommodation in order to interview at BigCommerce, please let us know during any of your interactions with our recruiting team.
Learn more about the BigCommerce team, culture and benefits at https://careers.bigcommerce.com .