BigCommerce’s mission is to help merchants sell more at every stage of growth, from small startups, to mid-market businesses to large enterprises. We focus on being the best ecommerce platform so our customers can focus on what matters most: growing their businesses.
We are equally passionate about growing our employee’s careers and providing them an incredible experience as we rapidly expand across the globe. We are proud to have been recognized numerous times for our product and workplace culture. We empower our people and customers to build, innovate and grow, so together we can redefine the ecommerce industry.
BigCommerce , named a "Great Place to Work" in Australia 2021, is looking for a Software Engineer I to join the Checkout team in our Sydney office.
**To be considered applicants must be located in Australia**
Who are we:
The BigCommerce Engineering team is on a mission to build the top-tier SaaS eCommerce platform.
Our distributed team of engineers works from our Sydney, Austin, San Francisco, and Kyiv offices and is passionate about building the right product for our customers in the right way.
In the Checkout team, our mission is to provide the fastest, best converting, and most extensible checkout experience of any SaaS eCommerce solution. Customization in particular is a huge focus for us, as we know that every business is different and every merchant wants an outstanding and compelling checkout flow that they can tailor to their needs. To achieve this we provide a large range of APIs and SDKs that let merchants and partners build the checkout experience they want, whether that’s running on the BigCommerce storefront, WordPress or anywhere else.
That’s quite a handful, so we don’t do it alone. We work closely with other engineering teams, product owners, designers, business representatives, and external partners. We have a team of people at different levels and with different expertise, and we work to iterate, learn, and build phenomenal software together.
We work primarily with PHP, React, and AngularJS. We’re passionate about building out both the native experience and the APIs and SDKs to let merchants and partners customize the checkout solution we offer or embed it in totally new contexts like WordPress or proprietary systems.
We believe strongly in the value of good design and good testing, and we rely heavily on tools like New Relic, Sentry, and Kibana to know what’s going on across the 60,000+ merchants we serve. We don’t expect our new-starters to be intimately familiar with all the tools we use, but if you are then we’re looking forward to learning how we can get the best out of them.
Who You Are:
- You’re a trusted engineer who has completed either a comprehensive software engineering boot camp, CS, or equivalent degree or has some relevant work experience
- You’re committed to continuing your own growth and helping your team-mates to grow with you
- You have a solid understanding of modern programming and design principles. You write testable, maintainable code that you are proud of and you are committed to keeping code quality high
- You are passionate and knowledgeable on modern technologies and tools, without being biased toward a specific technology. You’re more interested in finding the right tools and patterns for the job
- You’re an excellent communicator. You can explain not just your ideas, but the reasons behind them, and you’re comfortable doing that in person, over Slack or email, or in a code review
- You enjoy being part of an encouraging and collaborative team that is fixated on building a product that will delight customers
- You own your work and hold yourself responsible for results.
- You don't hesitate to ask for help and are always ready to provide help when needed because you want the whole team to grow
- You enjoy your work and the team you work with. You think terrible puns are funny and you would poke fun at your manager because they can’t spell
Base Salary, Plus Super, Plus Equity
Posted: 27, October 2021
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview process, to perform essential job functions and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you need an accommodation in order to interview at BigCommerce, please let us know during any of your interactions with our recruiting team.
Learn more about the BigCommerce team, culture and benefits at https://careers.bigcommerce.com .