BigCommerce’s mission is to help merchants sell more at every stage of growth, from small startups, to mid-market businesses to large enterprises. We focus on being the best ecommerce platform so our customers can focus on what matters most: growing their businesses.
We are equally passionate about growing our employee’s careers and providing them an incredible experience as we rapidly expand across the globe. We are proud to have been recognized numerous times for our product and workplace culture. We empower our people and customers to build, innovate and grow, so together we can redefine the ecommerce industry.
As a leading open SaaS solution, BigCommerce provides merchants with sophisticated enterprise-grade functionality, customization, and performance with simplicity and ease-of-use. Tens of thousands of B2B and B2C companies across 120 countries and numerous industries use BigCommerce to create appealing, engaging online stores, including Ben & Jerry’s, Skullcandy, Sony, and Woolrich. Headquartered in Austin, BigCommerce has offices in San Francisco, Sydney, and London.
Our mission is to power unrivaled ecommerce success at every stage of our customers’ growth. We equip growing businesses with the world’s most effective platform for creating online stores, attracting customers wherever they shop, and generating sales. Online businesses using BigCommerce can outsell and outperform those on other platforms.
As the first UX Writer on the Product Design Team, you will join a passionate and seasoned group, and partner closely with other product designers, product managers and UX researchers to solve for the needs, pain points and workflows of our users. You will be a vital contributor to help shape our features and experiences for the tens of thousands of merchants who use the BigCommerce platform to manage and sell products to their shoppers all over the world.
Reporting to a Product Design Manager, you’ll work across multiple product areas to develop consistent product content and build usage guidelines. You’ll coordinate with our knowledgebase and marketing copywriters to ensure the tone and words we use across the platform are consistent and loyal to the brand.
As we increase focus on international expansion, you will reside at the top of the funnel, helping to ensure that the words we choose and guidelines we create are easily translatable into many different languages.
You will cultivate an understanding of customer confusion and craft the words that will enable our merchants and their businesses to flourish and succeed. You’ll have an outstanding opportunity to work on products that enhance the BC ecosystem and greatly impact how our merchants run their businesses.
As someone who brings a user centered approach, you know that there is an inherent connection between content and design. Words are the main tool in your design toolkit, but you also consider the larger experience. You understand everything from the smallest piece of copy on a button to the most urgent error message has an impact on the user experience. It’s not just about filling out words on a screen -- you will use your killer writing skills to shape product experiences that are easy to understand while you work towards consistency across the platform, uplifting the old and crafting the new.
What you’ll do:
- Produce top-notch copy that provides consistency, clarity and delight for our product experience
- Collaborate with design, UX research and product managers to identify the problem set, business requirements and content needs
- Craft, handle and enrich copy guidelines, style guides and shared nomenclature across BigCommerce
- Evaluate the usability of new and existing products, sit in on user interviews, run user research to validate copy when needed
- Work with product designers, product managers and engineers across teams to ensure high quality execution and rollout
- Play a lead role in infusing the brand voice and tone across the product experience
- Ensure terminology is clear and conversational while considering internationalization and localization needs
- Educate others across the org about the role of UX writer
- Help shape our Product Design team culture, influence the way we work, and participate in the hiring process for new talent.
Who You are:
- Collaborative. You understand that solving problems for our users is a team sport. You are confident explaining copy decisions to key partners and responding to their feedback.
- A systems thinker. You understand how to define guidelines with both the structure and flexibility needed to make all functional areas of the product desirable and usable.
- Self-driven. You have superior organizational skills, attention to detail and great follow through, even in a fast paced environment. You don't get overwhelmed easily.
- Naturally curious. You have a desire to learn about technology, design, ecommerce, your users, basically anything that will make you a better writer.
- Pragmatic. You appreciate the latest trends but can easily filter out what is and isn’t useful to your audience. You love to boil down excess copy to its most compelling form.
- Motivated. You are passionate about consistency and details and constantly looking for ways to tweak and optimize to make things better. Not only do you take feedback well, but you seek it out.
- Fun! You're flexible, confident, and excited to help build something fantastic.
- A utility player. You're willing to help out wherever needed.
Skills and abilities:
- 2-4 years of experience writing user-centered or product copy that supports business goals and solving user needs, with the ability to provide writing samples
- Impeccable English writing skills and command of grammar, style, tone, and rhythm of language.
- Experience collaborating with researchers, and other product team members.
- Great verbal communication skills. You can optimally articulate what problems you’re solving for and your rationale
Nice to have:
- Degree in English, Journalism, Linguistics or equivalent professional experience in a related field
- Experience writing for a SaaS (software as a service) or other enterprise / large scale digital property or ecommerce company
- Prior experience as a product designer and / or UX researcher
- Fluent / conversational in at least one other language
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview process, to perform essential job functions and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you need an accommodation in order to interview at BigCommerce, please let us know during any of your interactions with our recruiting team.
Learn more about the BigCommerce team, culture and benefits at https://careers.bigcommerce.com .