BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
BigCommerce, named a” 2021 Best Place to Work" in Austin, a “Best and Brightest” place to work in San Francisco, and a “Best Place to Work” in Australia, is looking for a full-time Senior Infrastructure Engineer to join our team. This position can be fully remote, based in Austin, or based in San Francisco.
As a Senior Infrastructure Engineer at BigCommerce, you’ll work as part of our Infrastructure Engineering team. Our Infrastructure Engineering team consists of a talented group of individuals who specialize not only in web operations and systems administration, but also software engineering. We’re charged with designing the underlying technology stack that powers BigCommerce stores and building the underlying systems and tools that enable engineering teams to build and ship BigCommerce services.
We’re looking for an experienced candidate who brings a blended set of skills for software engineering and web operations to our team. In other organizations, you might have heard of this referred to as a “DevOps Engineer” or “Site Reliability Engineer”. We like to believe DevOps is an idea, a theory, and a set of fundamentals about how we work and interact within our team, in engineering, and for our business.
Currently you’ll find us predominantly working in Python, Ruby, and PHP, backed up by Puppet for configuration management. We’ve also been known to work in JVM based languages (Scala), and with Go from time to time. We’re always integrating new services and new technologies into our environment - Docker, linkerd, HAProxy, Nomad and Terraform just to name a few.
What you will do:
- A software engineer with a curiosity for operations, or an operations engineer that wants to work closely with software engineers to help glue infrastructure and software together
- Apply software engineering and SRE principles while leveraging infrastructure automation tools to build, maintain, monitor and operate complex infrastructure
- You understand scalable web architectures and cloud technologies
- Someone who loves to code, and you enjoy working in multiple programming languages. We primarily work with Python, Ruby, PHP, and Puppet (for configuration management)
- You drive issues to completion, marshaling resources in high-pressure situations
Who you are:
Our ideal candidate possesses some or all the following skills:
- 4+ years of experience in building software for, operating, or supporting large Linux based web application environments
- Bachelor's degree in CS, EE, SW, CE or MIS; or equivalent experience
- An excellent communicator, who works well with geographically distributed teams such as ours (we are split between Austin, Kyiv, San Francisco, and Sydney)
- You're obsessive compulsive, in a good way. Your systems and scripts are clean, well-documented and comprehensible
- You have a passion for learning when it comes to working with new technologies or languages.
- Experience with UNIX systems administration, including solid scripting skills in Python, Ruby, PHP, or Bash
- Experience running Docker with some kind of orchestration system such as Nomad (we use Nomad), Kubernetes, or Amazon ECS
- Knowledge of configuration management systems such as Ansible, Chef, or Puppet (we use Puppet)
- Experience with observability and application performance monitoring (APM) tools such as ELK, Prometheus, New Relic, Sentry and Lightstep
Position Work Options:
- This position can be fully remote, based in Austin, Texas or based in San Francisco, California
- To be considered for this remote opportunity, the ideal candidate must reside in one of the following metro areas: Austin, Texas or San Francisco, California
- Hybrid: “Flexible work from home options available” “Work from home 3 days a week
Our Hiring Processes Might Include
- Recruiter phone screen
- Hiring manager screen / Code Assessment
- Technical Infrastructure Interview
- Final Stage / Team Cultural
- Note: Visa work authorization sponsorship supported, and relocation assistance provided