BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
BigCommerce , named a "Best Place to Work," is looking for an Associate Legal Counsel to join our growing, top-notch legal team in our Austin Four Points (headquarters) office. As a key member of the team, you will provide support and guidance on various legal matters and help drive growth and compliance in the company’s operations. This role will report to the Associate General Counsel or Assistant General Counsel and frequently collaborate directly with other departments.
What You’ll Do
- Serve as a trusted advisor to various company departments and functions by providing counsel on a wide range of legal, corporate compliance, commercial, strategic and international matters.
- Research and provide guidance on governance best practices and public company reporting obligations.
- Draft, update and manage legal templates, policies and playbooks.
- Identify, implement and manage operations improvements within the legal team and with cross-departmental processes and procedures.
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of the company's operations, products, market, customers and competitors.
- Drive compliance in day-to-day activities, including preparing and updating policies and providing training and counseling to other teams.
- Establish rapport and working relationships at all levels to encourage and continue the proactive use of in-house legal counsel.
- Draft, review, and negotiate a broad range of commercial and corporate agreements (with support and oversight from our senior attorneys), including inbound and outbound SaaS and related agreements, support services, marketing agreements and nondisclosure agreements.
- Oversee management and maintenance of data quality within BigCommerce’s contract management systems.
- Conduct research on legal issues and risks related to our product offerings and business strategies; present findings and recommendations to legal team members and other internal stakeholders.
Who You Are
- J.D. degree and membership in good standing in at least one state bar.
- 1-2+ years’ experience working in a fast-paced, in-house legal environment or with a top regional or national law firm.
- SaaS or technology company experience preferred.
- Fast learner with strong analytical and problem-solving skills with a high attention to detail.
- Team player with ability to communicate and collaborate effectively at all levels of the organization in a professional manner.
- Capable of working independently but exercises sound legal judgment and seeks guidance from senior attorneys when appropriate.
- Ability to think ahead and anticipate issues before they arise.
- Maintains a positive attitude and good sense of humor even while working under pressure.
- Strong time management and prioritization abilities; capable of prioritizing multiple deliverables while managing expectations and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with an ability to apply legal principles and explain legal concepts practically in a business environment.
- Takes ownership of work and sees projects through to completion.
This description is intended to serve as a summary of key duties and responsibilities and may not contain a comprehensive list of activities .