BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
Who is BigCommerce
BigCommerce (Nasdaq: BIGC) is a leading software-as-a-service (SaaS) ecommerce platform that empowers merchants of all sizes to build, innovate, and grow their businesses online. As a leading open SaaS solution, BigCommerce provides merchants sophisticated enterprise-grade functionality, customization, and performance with simplicity and ease-of-use. Tens of thousands of B2B and B2C companies across 120 countries and numerous industries use BigCommerce to create beautiful, engaging online stores, including Ben & Jerry’s, Skullcandy, Sony, and Woolrich. Headquartered in Austin, BigCommerce has offices in San Francisco, Sydney, and London.
Our mission is to power unrivaled ecommerce success at every stage of our customers’ growth. We equip growing businesses with the world’s most effective platform for creating beautiful stores, attracting customers wherever they shop, and generating sales. Online businesses using Bigcommerce can outsell and outperform those on other platforms.
About the role
We are looking for a Senior Product Manager who’ll lead three core and adjacent pillars of our commerce platform: Order management, Shipping & Fulfilment and Tax. Across these areas, you will understand the needs and goals of multiple user groups (the retail merchant, their end-customers and external developers) to develop a leading product and platform experience. You will lead multiple engineering teams to bring the strategy to life and partner cross- functionally with team members in Product Marketing, Strategic Business Development, Sales & Customer Success.
What you’ll do:
- Lead strategy development and execution across order management, shipping & fulfilment and tax.
- Roll up your sleeves and get deep into the day-to-day running of multiple high performing Agile teams.
- Enthusiastically lead teams towards the product vision with effective delivery.
- Collaborate with our Product Design and Engineering teams to drive product discovery (performing customer research and market research), hypotheses, development and product delivery (solutions that bring the most value to our customers in the quickest time-frame).
- Define user stories or job stories that effectively capture the customer’s problem statement(s) and ‘bridge the divide’ between our customers’ needs and the product
- Collaborate with your team to break complex projects into small projects, with each iteration adding more customer value.
- Develop success metrics to monitor impact of new products that you launch.
- Analyze data to measure the impact of product improvements, and then iterate to constantly optimize performance.
- Define and communicate performance metrics to key stakeholders throughout the organization.
- Work closely with managers across the organization to ensure that the initiatives you drive align with the strategic vision of the product and the broader company objectives.
- Partner with our Business Development and Marketing teams to drive adoption of the integrations and solutions you build.
- Interface directly with shipping, fulfilment and tax partners to understand integration touch points and technical considerations of their solutions.
Who you are:
- 5+ years product management experience leading multiple teams and initiatives
- You’ve managed multiple product features/lines simultaneously (rather than just been a single individual contributor of a single product feature/line)
- You’re motivated to execute high-profile projects in a fast-paced and cross-functional environment.
- You’re able to develop vision and strategy and coralle team members around them
- You’re able to develop a long term plan and then work with the team to break it into smaller chunks, each adding more customer value.
- You’re passionate about building next-generation products for the fast-growing ecommerce industry.
- You have a technical background, or have a technical orientation, enough to get in the weeds with engineers to understand the pros and cons of different technologies, design and potential solutions.
- You’re plugged into the worldwide commerce ecosystem of 3rd party developers and solutions. You speak their language and have their respect.
- You have a laser focus on the customer which enables you to have a deep understanding of their pain points and how they use the product.
- You use data to inform and defend your decisions.
- You value market research and, when it comes to the competition, you have your finger on the pulse.
- You get excited about tackling big, complicated and often ambiguous problems.
- You understand that human behavior is complex and changing behaviors is a lot harder than building features and technology.
- You’re curious and love trying new things. You ask yourself “why did they build it that way?” or “what would happen if…?”
- You’ve got strong UX instincts. You won’t need to do your own designs but you’ll work effectively with your design and research peers.
- You think analytically.
- You’re great at communicating and negotiating with cross-functional teams. You are a powerful influencer, and people like working with you even if they might disagree with you.
- You’re energetic and creative - both key characteristics that describe you and the projects you lead. You have a bias for action and make things happen.
- You have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- You have an entrepreneurial mindset, with a bias for customer focused innovation.
- You’re resilient. Challenges present themselves and you persist through them until the solution is found, bringing your team along the journey and encouraging them along the way.
It would be excellent if you had:
- Experience within Shipping & Fulfilment, including global postal networks & carriers (e.g. Australia Post, USPS, FedEx, PostNL, La Poste), 3rd party logistics (e.g. Amazon MCF, ShipBob) and shipping aggregators (e.g. ShipperHQ, ShipStation).
- Experience within Tax (e.g. Avalara, Vertex, Thomson Reuters).
- Technical background with experience in REST and GraphQL APIs (giving you empathy towards designing a great developer experience)