BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
BigCommerce , named a 2021 "Best Place to Work" in Austin, is looking for a Developer Advocate. Developer Advocates are responsible for working with our partner and developer ecosystem to build solutions and apps on the BigCommerce platform. Your efforts include working with key developers to understand the needs of the developer/partner ecosystem. Your technical expertise, communication, and presentation skills allow you to build trust and foster deep relationships through one-on-one interactions. You’ll be responsible for executing the strategy to help promote awareness, education, networking, and growth through interactions at meetups, conferences, and social media/online communities.
Your role as a Developer Advocate is to be an evangelist for the BigCommerce developer experience. Your natural community-building skills will represent BigCommerce to an external technical audience. In this role, you’ll focus on building contagious enthusiasm and empowering developers to explore, learn, create, and sell solutions on our platform. Through your efforts, you’ll identify and work with industry experts to build a network of influencers to spread your message.
The ideal candidate will reside in Austin, TX, or any major city in the US.
What will you do:
- Develop expertise in one or more areas of the BigCommerce platform in order to serve as a key contributor within the product development process.
- Be the "Voice of the Developer" by championing developers within the BigCommerce Product and Engineering teams, translating developer needs into prioritized feature developments using qualitative and quantitative research as input.
- Engage directly with developers in the online Community.
- Does proactive and reactive one-one-one outreach with developers to get feedback and improve the experience.
- Scopes and builds samples, docs, and Developer Blog posts with minimal guidance, producing code and content that is accessibly written for a well-defined audience.
- Contribute to the direction of our developer content strategy with your industry experience, relationships, and knowledge of developer best practices and concepts.
- Using your subject matter expertise, evangelize the BigCommerce developer experience by presenting at developer conferences, webinars, and other events.
- Grow and develop the success of the BigCommerce developer experience finding innovative ways to create additional awareness and momentum.
- Mentor new teammates, as needed.
Who you are:
- 3+ years related professional experience, ideally including 1+ years in Developer Relations, Developer Support, and/or Developer Documentation.
- Software Engineering background preferred
- Extensive experience working with APIs and front-end development tools; capable of performing, testing, and debugging requests
- Formal training or equivalent experience with at least one server-side scripting language, preferably PHP or Ruby
- Strong understanding of code deployment and supporting tools like Github
- Ability to quickly understand complex, interdependent technical requirements.
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation-based communication skills. Consistently delivering well-polished communications both internally and externally.
- Exceptional ability to communicate with and influence both technical and non-technical audiences from entry-level to C-Suite executives.
- Willing to travel to attend conferences, meetups, and other events.
- Work effectively cross-functionally—marketing, sales, product, and engineering with relative ease to champion new ideas and drive business goals.
- Proactively initiates contributions to team or company goals and implements solutions with minimal direction from others.
- Sets ambitious goals and works with their manager to ensure alignment with the overall team and business strategy.
This description is intended to serve as a summary of key duties and responsibilities and may not contain a comprehensive list of activities .