BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
Bigcommerce makes quality a cornerstone of our software development and delivery philosophy. Every day, we’re trusted to handle tens of millions of dollars of transactions through our platform.
We’re looking for a Software Engineer II to join our Pricing Team with strong experience in building and scaling back-end services, work with distributed systems and highly scalable service-oriented architecture. To join our team passionate about iteratively improving our Ecosystem experience for our merchants.
In this role, you’ll help us build and extend the pricing platform which powers pricing of millions of products across thousands of stores on our platform. You’ll work closely with software engineers, UI designers, and product managers to define stories, acceptance scenarios, and test plans/cases and to advocate for best practices that improve software quality.
Ideal candidates will have the ability to understand sophisticated business requirements and technical architectures.
What You’ll Do:
- Build highly-available, redundant, and scalable distributed systems
- Write code that is performant, maintainable, clear, and concise
- Work closely with the operations team while building and scaling back-end services
- Work closely with other teams when making changes at domain boundaries
- Collaborate with product and design to support an efficient user experience
- Participate in code reviews to maintain and improve quality
- Build new features with a focus on extensibility and quality
Who you are:
- 3+ years of experience as a Software Engineer in a JVM language or PHP
- Bachelor's degree in CS, EE, SW, CE or MIS; or equivalent experience
- Experience with SQL (we use MySQL).
- Solid Unix basics
- You are careful, cautious, and detailed when you make changes to code. You follow up on changes you’ve made to ensure that they behave as you expect
- You write clear, concise and maintainable code that you are proud of, and you are committed to keeping code quality high
- You’re interested in finding the right tools and patterns for the job
- You’re an excellent communicator. You can explain not only your ideas, but the reasons behind them, in person, over slack or email, or in a code review
- You own your work and hold yourself responsible for results
- You don't hesitate to ask for help and are always ready to provide help when needed
- You enjoy your work and the team you work with
- You find happiness in fixing bugs and solving performance problems, even when you’re the person who introduced them
Nice to have:
- Experience with Scala
- Past work with distributed systems and highly scalable service-oriented architectures
Our Hiring Processes Might Include
We want to see your problem-solving and analytical skills. Be prepared to write good, clean, scalable code. You don’t need to know our entire stack, but we’re looking for practical experience, someone who can tackle production problems in the cloud.
- Recruiter Phone Screen
- Hiring Manager Screening
- Online Code Assessment
- Final Team Interview
- Note: Visa Work Authorization Sponsorship Supported and Relocation Assistance Provided