BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
Named a “Best Place to Work” in Austin in 2020, BigCommerce is looking for a Senior Legal Counsel to help support the company’s growth and profitability by providing legal counsel on various commercial and strategic transactions, while simultaneously balancing the company’s legal & compliance obligations.
What You’ll Do
- Serve as a trusted advisor to various company functions (including sales, procurement, strategic business development and customer success services) by providing counsel on commercial transactions, as well as a wide range of legal and corporate matters
- Draft, review, and negotiate a broad range of commercial agreements, including inbound and outbound SaaS and related service agreements, referral and strategic partnership agreements, consulting/professional services agreements, and nondisclosure agreements
- Engage and oversee/manage other legal team members and outside counsel for support and advice on commercial transactions and related matters
- Advise on legal issues and risks raised by our product offering and business strategies
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of and familiarity with the company’s business operations, product, market, customers and competitors
- Drive compliance in day-to-day activities, including providing training and counseling on compliance matters
- Establish rapport and working relationships at all levels to encourage and continue the proactive use of in-house legal counsel
- Perform other general legal and/or business duties and functions as may be required by business needs
Who You Are
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) and active membership in at least one state bar association
- 6+ years’ legal experience in a top regional or national law firm and/or fast-paced, in-house legal department
- Strong academic credentials
- Knowledgeable and experienced in contract law and commercial contract negotiations
- Experience representing SaaS and/or software providers preferred
- Understanding of data privacy and security considerations, particularly GDPR and CCPA, and familiarity with other areas of law and in-house practice such as compliance, intellectual property, insurance, employment/HR matters, contract management, operations, etc.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills
- Fluency translating legal advice into actionable guidance for innovative business teams
- Ability to efficiently manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously
- Flexible thinker with the ability to make sound independent decisions
This description is intended to serve as a summary of key duties and responsibilities and may not contain a comprehensive list of activities .