BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
As an Site Reliability Engineer II at BigCommerce, you'll work as part of our Technical Operations team. Our Site Reliability / Infrastructure Engineering team consists of a talented group of individuals who specialize not only in web operations and systems administration, but also software engineering. We're charged with designing the underlying technology stack that powers BigCommerce stores and building the underlying systems and tools that enable engineering teams to build and ship BigCommerce services.
We're looking for an experienced candidate who brings a blended set of skills for software engineering and web operations to our team. In other organizations, you might have heard of this referred to as a "DevOps Engineer". We like to believe DevOps is an idea, a theory, and a set of fundamentals about how we work and interact within our team, in engineering, and for our business.
Currently you'll find us predominantly working in Ruby, and PHP, backed up by Puppet for configuration management and Terraform for infrastructure management. We've also been known to work in JVM based languages (Scala), and with Go from time to time. We're always integrating new services and new technologies into our environment - Docker, linkerd, Nomad and Terraform just to name a few.
***Base Salary, Plus Super, Plus Restricted Stock Units***
**To be considered applicants must reside in Australia**
What you will do:
- A software engineer with a curiosity for operations, or an operations engineer that wants to work closely with software engineers to help glue infrastructure and software together.
- Apply software engineering and SRE principles while leveraging infrastructure automation tools to build, maintain, monitor and operate complex infrastructure.
- You understand scalable web architectures and cloud technologies.
- Someone who loves to code, and you enjoy working in multiple programming languages. We primarily work with Ruby, PHP, Lua, HCL and Puppet.
- Assist with defining requirements for tasks and projects
- You drive issues to completion, engaging with your teammates and marshalling resources in high-pressure situations.
- Work closely with your peers to expand your knowledge and understanding of the technologies used in the platform
- Take initiative and work beyond the scope of a task to improve existing systems and code.
- Participate in our on-call rotation.
Who you are:
Our ideal candidate possesses some or all of the following skills:
- 3-5 years experience in building software for operating or supporting large Linux based web application environments.
- An excellent communicator, who works well with geographically distributed teams such as ours (we are split between Sydney, Austin, Kyiv, and San Francisco).
- You're obsessive compulsive, in a good way. Your systems and scripts are clean, well-documented and comprehensible.
- You have a passion for learning, are curious when it comes to working with new technologies or languages and are not afraid to ask questions.
- Experienced with Linux systems administration, including solid scripting skills in Ruby, PHP, Python or Bash.
- Experienced with running Docker with container orchestration systems such as Nomad, Kubernetes, Amazon ECS or Google GKE.
- Experienced with database, document storage and object storage systems.
- Experienced with configuration management systems such as Puppet, Chef or Ansible.
- Experienced with infrastructure-as-code tools such as Terraform, CloudFormation, Deployment Manager.
- Experienced with monitoring, metrics gathering, error reporting, tracing and logging systems such as ELK, Prometheus, New Relic, Datadog, Lightstep or Sentry.
Posted: 3 April, 2021