BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
About the role
We are looking for a Product Manager to focus on two important areas: our bigcommerce.com site and all its international versions, and the in-product onboarding for our new and prospective customers. As a part of this role, you will work closely with a few engineering teams, product & marketing designers, as well as the rest of the Product & Engineering organization. In this role, you will need to be working with cross-functional stakeholders such as Marketing, Strategic Business Development Team, Finance and other teams to make sure that there’s a cohesive strategy across the board.
What you’ll do:
- Be fully responsible for a few product domain areas (bigcommerce.com and in-product onboarding) and leading development teams which provide a high quality product to the market.
- Gather inputs from cross-functional stakeholders (Marketing, Business Development, Sales, Finance etc).
- Define and communicate business outcomes and performance metrics to key stakeholders throughout the organization.
- Enthusiastically lead your teams, consisting of developers, designers, and quality engineers, towards your vision with effective delivery.
- Work collaboratively with your teams to break complex projects into small projects, with each iteration adding more customer value.
- Prepare comprehensive Epics & Stories for your development teams.
- Explain to the development team(s) all details of stories before/over development (organization of explanation process — planning, grooming meetings etc.)
- Work with the Design team to design & prototype new features.
- Validate new functionality with customers before development.
- Demo new functionality to the stakeholders, the organization and customers.
- Analyze the entire product and propose ways to improve it.
- Analyze data to measure the impact of product improvements, and then iterate to constantly optimize performance.
Who you are:
- Depending on the size and type of teams/companies you’ve worked at in the past, that could translate to anywhere from 2 to 4+ years’ experience in a hands-on product management role.
- You’ve worked with different eCommerce, PIM or ERP systems, and you understand the needs and trends in the B2C and B2B eCommerce space.
- You’ve shipped products that thousands of people use and love.
- You have worked in SCRUM Agile methodologies and understand the process.
- You’re passionate about building next-generation products for the fast-growing ecommerce industry.
- You have worked on platform artifacts and understand services, APIs and frameworks.
- You have a technical background, or have a technical orientation, enough to get in the weeds with engineers to understand the pros and cons of different technologies, design and potential solutions.
- You have a laser focus on the customer which enables you to have a deep understanding of their pain points and how they use the product.
- You use data to inform and defend your decisions.
- You’ve proven you can execute high-profile projects in a fast-paced and cross-functional environment.
- You’re able to develop a long term plan and then work with the team to break it into smaller chunks, each adding more customer value.
- You value market research and, when it comes to the competition, you have your finger on the pulse.
- You get excited about tackling big, complicated and often ambiguous problems.
- You understand that human behavior is complex and changing behaviors is a lot harder than building features and technology.
- You’re curious and love trying new things. You ask yourself “why did they build it that way?” or “what would happen if…?”
- You think analytically.
- You’re great at communicating and negotiating with cross-functional teams. You are a powerful influencer, and people like working with you even if they might disagree with you.
- You’re energetic and creative - both key characteristics that describe you and the projects you lead. You have a bias for action and make things happen.
- You have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- You have an entrepreneurial mindset, with a bias for customer focused innovation.