BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
BigCommerce named a “Best and Brightest” place to work in San Francisco 2020 is looking for a Manager, Data Engineering . This is an exciting opportunity to manage Data Engineering team and drive vision for real time big data pipeline and SaaS analytics platform using latest cloud technologies for the #1 e-commerce SaaS platform.
An ideal candidate will have a background in Computer Science or a related technical field and possess extensive hands-on experience in building distributed scalable data pipelines and working with large data stores. You will be working closely with product managers, designers, application engineers and ML engineers in a highly visible role. You are gritty, focused on results, a self-starter and have demonstrated success in using engineering and analytics to drive the understanding, growth and success of a product. You will report to Sr. Director, Data Engineering.
What you’ll do
- Drive vision for Scalable, distributed, real time Data platform and Data products.
- Define and execute a plan for the Data team’s vision
- Build and manage a team of high caliber Data and ML Engineers
- Build relationship with product, design, project and technical operations teams
- Drive the architecture, design and implementation of new Data and ML products
- Influence and drive the adoption of Data across various product teams and functions
- Create a culture of Data driven decision making
- Own data quality for the pipelines your team builds and make them auditable
- Evaluate new technologies and build prototypes for continuous improvements in Data Engineering
- Build integrations with external systems for transmitting and receiving event data
- Partner with Infrastructure and Engineering teams to ensure instrumentation, logging and monitoring is in place
Who you are
- 7+ years of Industry experience
- Experience managing/mentoring Software and/or Data Engineering teams.
- Hands-on experience in big data technologies such as Kafka, Spark, Hadoop, HBase or their equivalents
- Experience with AWS and/or GCP
- Experience building and deploying ML models
- 5+ years of experience with Java, Scala and/or Python
- 5+ years of experience with SQL
- 3+ years of experience in building and monitoring near real time scalable ETL pipelines
- Excellent written and verbal communication and project management skills
- Bachelor's degree in CS, EE or MIS; or equivalent experience
Nice to have
- Experience with tools such as AirFlow for scheduling and monitoring of data workflow will be a plus
- Experience with managed data processing services of cloud platforms such as GCP and/or AWS will be a plus
- Experience working with a team distributed over time zones will be a plus
- Knowledge of Google Kubernetes Engine, Cloud Composer will be a plus